Customers will see more changes to McDonald's Happy Meal offering this summer.
In the first phase of a multi-year plan, all Happy Meals in the United States will be under 600 calories, and they will all be compliant with new standards on added sugar and saturated fat.
McDonald's will make the following changes in June to meet these standards:
- Listing only the following entrée choices: Hamburger, 4-piece and 6-piece Chicken McNuggets. The Cheeseburger will only be available at a customer's request.
- Replacing the small French fries with kids-sized fries in the 6-piece Chicken McNugget meal, which decreases the calories and sodium in the fries serving by half.
- Reformulating chocolate milk to reduce the amount of added sugar. During this period, chocolate milk will no longer be listed on the Happy Meal menu, but will be available at a customer's request.
- Later this year, bottled water will be added as a featured beverage choice on Happy Meal menu boards.
- In December 2017, McDonald's USA completed the transition to Honest Kids Appley Ever After organic juice drink, which has 45 less calories and half the total sugar than the prior 100 percent apple juice served in the U.S.